Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Fears and Concerns

I have once again reached the point with one of my children where we are ready for Kindergarten. I can't help but to think back at the hell of Taylor's first year of Kindergarten. The meetings and the test's, she might be this or that, perhaps she is add, no maybe a learning disability. In reality all it was is she needed more time, she was younger than the other kids when she started. I held her back and it was straight A's from them on, well she is carrying some B's and tried me once with a C but we got that under control real quick. So Ryan is a different child, he is really smart. But he is having a hard time with speech. So as of yesterday he was finally approved for speech. He will take it from now till May at his school twice a week and then again next year if needed. Once again I question myself as a parent, what if I did this or that? What if I tried a little harder? What if I went to college and knew more? I try to tell myself I am what I am and worrying will not change the past. Then we have the comments, the advice, from well meaning friends and family. Do this, try that, don't speak for him, blah blah blah.... It hurts to hear every ones opinion on what you are doing wrong as a parent. Especially when being one is your life, you gave up everything else to be one. I was never one to take criticism well anyway. So once again I start on a journey of educating my child. I try and tell myself look at how far you have came, my oldest is in a preparatory school and kicking butt there, my daughter is in 4th grade making good grades and is doing so well. I just have this instinct that if something is wrong with my child its my fault, its something I did wrong. Its my job to raise them and its a hard job, sometimes harder than I think I can handle.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Ok, first off, it isn't your fault.

Even if it were, which it isn't, a college education has nothing to do with it, as I am living proof. A big university degree, graduated with top honors, inducted into honor societies, blah blah blah.

And look at Payton.

ha

Ryan will be ok. He'll get his speech down pat and we'll all have a hard time remembering when he struggled with it. In the meantime, I know it's difficult to sit through it. Hang in there!

Christy said...

Thanks! It's so hard not to second guess and blame yourself. I needed to hear that.